We are searching for dedicated professionals to join our growing team in a compassionate, easy-going work environment. Please see all of our open positions below.
Executive Director – applications invited until 11/16/18
Founded in 2000, SafeArt is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that engages the expressive arts in fostering creativity as a tool to support mental health and overall well-being. SafeArt offers classroom residencies to K-12 schools, direct client support through private sessions for children and adults, monthly art-based drop-in groups for adults, as well as a weekly intensive program for women in a closed-group format. Recently, we have also begun offering healing arts and trauma-informed workshops and trainings for educators, health care professionals, and other practitioners working in the field.
Over the years, we have worked with trauma survivors to help them transform emotional, mental, and physical injuries of all kinds. We define trauma as any held injury in body, mind, and soul. As the organization has matured, we have witnessed the healing power of creative expression as beneficial for all, and have added offerings to the broader community in addition to our trauma-focused programs. All of our programming continues to be inclusive and trauma-informed. Our headquarters are located in Chelsea, Vermont, and our programming area focuses mostly on Central Vermont and the Upper Valley of NH and VT. Our professional development trainings are offered locally and nationwide.
The Executive Director manages all aspects of operation, development, administration and programs of SafeArt. Other key duties include marketing and community outreach. This is a full-time salaried position and reports directly to the Board of Directors. Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Works with board and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programming, strategic planning, and community outreach.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
- Create and facilitate strategic plan in conjunction with the Board
- Respond to community needs and new opportunities by furthering and enhancing SafeArt’s programming and mission
Fundraising & Financial Leadership
- Manages, oversees and leads staff, when appropriate, in fundraising and donor stewardship
- Responsible for financial management, developing resources sufficient to ensure financial health of organization.
- Creation of proposed annual operating budget and monthly financial statements for internal use and for submission to the Board of Directors.
- Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
- Develop new donor relationships and maintain a positive relationship with existing donors
- Engage corporate sponsors for the organization
- Maintain existing relationships with foundations and garner new relationships
- Managing all aspects of grant funding, including grant writing and reporting
- Staff Management
- Foster culture of internal support for staff to succeed in their respective roles
- Build and nurture team of dedicated, motivated employees
- Facilitate staff meetings, professional development opportunities, and ongoing support of improving monetary and non-monetary compensation structures
- Facilitate performance evaluation of staff
- Supervise Interns as applicable and foster their growth
- Enhance visibility of the organization in the community and by working closely with other professional, civic and private organizations.
- Coordinating the creation of outreach materials, including Annual Report, brochures, social media, website maintenance, flyers, listservs, etc.
- Leads staff in designing and carrying out public relations, and administrative functions
- Makes or supervises employment decisions consistent with policies as well as staff retention.
The essential duties and responsibilities listed above are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required.
- Demonstrated commitment to and heartfelt compatibility with SafeArt’s mission
- Self-starter with strategic leadership experience, transparent and high integrity leadership style
- Fundraising experience as well as financial management of small-medium sized organization/business
- High level of motivation, positive attitude, flexible, proactive
- Solid, hands-on budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting
- Excellent organizational skills with exacting attention to detail
- Skills to collaborate with and motivate board members, staff, and volunteers
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Proven experience growing and supporting a nonprofit
- Strong technological proficiency, including website management, donor database platforms, electronic mailings, social media
- Experience with shared leadership models a plus
- Mental health background and experience working with trauma survivors preferred
- A Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent experience such as in nonprofit or business management, mental health, expressive arts, or art-based healing and learning, Master’s degree preferred
SafeArt actively seeks a diverse pool of candidates. We will redact personal information in the initial screening process that can lead to unconscious bias, such as name, address, and graduation date.
SafeArt is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, marital/civil union status, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran/uniformed service status, disability or other legally protected classification.
To be considered for this position, please submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample and three professional references with contact information to: email@example.com. Word and pdf files accepted.
**Application deadline: November 16th, 2018**